Monday, September 5, 2011

Day 5

4. Your views on religion.

[I'm taking a rain check on this question. Because I want to make sure to have time to give it thought - and yesterday I was too busy going to church then hanging out with friends to answer...]

5. Your three favorite books and why.

[This is a perfect day to answer this question, since I plan on reading today during my day off!]

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
I know this is sort of predictable choice but I really is one of my favorite books! It's one of the few books I've read more than twice and I hardly ever read books more than once. The dialogue is witty and the observations made by the characters are interesting, AND, of course, they fall in love at the end! It's a comfortable book and one that I can just read a bit of to make me feel better. Likewise, if I want the same feeling and don't feel like reading, I can just watch a bit of the BBC movie adaptation. Very likely my like for both the book and the movie increase my love of each individually. However, I do NOT like all the zombie adaptations, etc. of Pride and Prejudice.

Possession by A.S. Byatt
This book is a perfect combination of many of my favorite book characteristics: academic main character, historical fiction, good prose, romantic in a classy way. The two main characters are scholar/researchers and they discover old manuscript and try to work out some old mystery. I don't remember all the details now but it was so cool to watch the discovery unfold and read the old letters and poems they found.

Lentil by Robert McCloskey 
This was one of my favorite picture books as a kid and I still love checking it out from the library from time to time and reading through it. They pictures are so lovely and they draw me right into the story of the boy in this midwest town. The front flap of the book has a illustrated map of the fictional town, which I love. The story is about a boy who can't whistle but he can play harmonica and he ends up saving the day when he plays his harmonica in a parade. The pictures show so much detail and really illustrates the expressions of the characters. Check it out!

Now, off to read The World According to Bertie by Alexander McCall Smith.

3 comments:

  1. I plan to check out all three of these - hope the library has them. I haven't read any of them, not even P&P. I've seen the movie though, but not the BBC adaptation, so I'll look for that on Netflix. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gena! I'm amazed you haven't read or seen P&P! I have both the book AND the DVD for the BBC version. It's a perfect movie to watch when it's cozy inside. I should warn you though, it's like 6 hours long!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like I've seen a recent version with Gwyneth Paltrow or someone similar but maybe I'm confusing it with Sense and Sensibility. Or Emma. Who knows. Would love to borrow the DVD sometime if you can spare it.

    ReplyDelete