Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Day 13

13. Somewhere you’d like to move or visit.

I really want to visit Okinawa someday. This is the island, south of Japan, where Boyd's mom was born and where his grandma's family lived for generations as fishermen. Oba (grandma) doesn't talk about her childhood much but I love hearing any story she does tell. I found a photo of an Okinawa fisherman here. There is something properly nostalgic about visiting the "homeland" of a family member. But following my family doesn't bring me to places quite as exotic or tropical.

Check out the views! Okinawa is known for its beaches and I've sometimes heard it described ast the "Hawaii of Japan." 

You can see even more dream-vacation-inducing photos here

Unfortunately, the tickets are about $1,500 - $2,500 per person to fly there. SO......I have to really kick my penny saving up a notch if I want to get there any day soon. Or maybe I'll just plan on going when I retire. Sigh.

1 comment:

  1. I've often heard Hawaii called the Okinawa of America...

    ReplyDelete